Trade, biosecurity, seasonal labour, water security and the Hort Award are just some of the areas currently impacting apple and pear growers which require informed, diplomatic and skilful representation with Government.
APAL’s Industry Advocacy work involves:
- Maintaining and developing productive relationships with key government representatives
- Lobbying on behalf of apple and pear growers in private and public sector contexts
- Providing an independent assessment of the expenditure of the apple and pear R&D and marketing levy managed by Hort Innovation
- Preparing government submissions on issues that may affect the apple and pear industry
- Attending meetings of government representatives and advisors.
Our Industry Advocacy Priorities
APAL is focused on influencing the issues that matter most to growers. Our priorities include:
- Establishing a National Netting Program
- Protecting growers’ right to farm
- Upholding robust biosecurity measures
- Helping growers access labour requirements
- Ensuring the fair payment and treatment of workers
Learn more about our advocacy work below.