Hort Innovation marketing updateBusiness Management
Apple and Pear Marketing Manager at Hort Innovation, Lisa Troy, updates us on the marketing work to promote apple and pear consumption nationally.
By Lisa Troy
The contract to promote Aussie Apples and Australian Pears on Facebook recently came to an end, which provided the opportunity to re-evaluate the budget and to drive additional value for money from this media with a new agency. We received a number of submissions and have awarded the one-year contract to Ikon Communications. They will:
- Develop a social media strategy that is value driven.
- Ensure that the strategy aligns and compliments the overarching marketing strategy.
- Ensure that we have consistency across our marketing messages.
- Deliver against key performance indicators for engagement, reach and frequency.
Ikon bring significant experience and expertise to our program and manage the social media for a number of well-recognised brands and across a range of budgets. They also have experience in managing social media for a number of horticulture industries.
My Foodbook sponsorship
My Foodbook is an online recipe and cookbook site where you can create your own personalised digital cookbooks using recipes from top food brands, combined with your own ideas. My Foodbook produces professional, engaging and long-lasting content.
Australian Pears has a 12 month Recipe Partner subscription with My Foodbook that will run until 29 September 2016. Some of the other partners include major brands such as Western Star, Perfect Italiano, Lilydale and Cadbury.
This subscription allows us to be part of the My Foodbook branded content promotions that reach over two million consumers each month.
Our subscription includes:
- My Foodbook database: Our pear recipes are part of the My Foodbook database for their membership base.
- Seasonal Cookbooks: Pears will be featured in two Seasonal Cookbooks, Mother’s Day (April) and Winter Warmers (June). They will include four pear recipes plus one full page Pairing Feature on pears. The aim is get 20,000 plus issue downloads.
- Electronic Direct Mail-outs (EDMs): Pears will feature in twenty ‘Inspire me Daily’ EDMs over the sponsorship period that are emailed out to the My Foodbook database. This will coordinate with new season pears and include varietal information aimed at educating consumers about the different types of pears available and usage suggestions.
- Newsletters: Pears will feature in three newsletters.
- Bonus activity: As a key My Foodbook partner, we also have the opportunity to work with other brands to gain incremental value from the sponsorship. Pears was also featured in a Pear and Chocolate Bread and Butter Pudding Recipe in the Devondale Bakers Bounty Cookbook in April 2016
Hailstorm Heroes campaign
The Hailstorm Heroes pear campaign kicked off on 1 May to support pear growers who were affected by the hail storms at the end of 2015. APAL negotiated with retailers to allow for a variation in the quality specifications and guidelines at Woolworths, IGA and Aldi to allow a percentage of fruit to show hail damage at a minor defects level of 1.5 – 3cm2.
The supporting above-the-line campaign promotes the hail affected fruit to consumers by highlighting that despite some superficial damage, the fruit itself is still perfectly good to eat.
The campaign is running across the following media:
- Radio (1-28 May) – listen to the ad here on YouTube
- Newspaper print (10 and 24 May for Brisbane, and 13 and 24 May for Sydney and Melbourne)
- Westfield Smart Screens (2-31 May)
- Public relations campaign (May-Jun)
The radio campaign is on the 2DAY FM, FOX FM and Triple M stations in Sydney and Melbourne over each day of the campaign, including during high rating shows such as Hamish and Andy; Fifi and Dave; Eddie McGuire; and the Grill Team. We have secured at least seven 30 second slots on each station per day (along with some bonus ones) to ensure our level of frequency and reach.
The newspaper quarter page print ads will run twice in the Sydney Morning Herald, Melbourne Age and Brisbane Courier Mail – we have secured page three in Sydney and Melbourne for no additional cost.
We have also utilised the Westfield Smart Screens in NSW, Queensland and Victoria, primarily located within proximity to Woolworths’ stores. This media did not incur any additional charge as we used a credit from last year’s apple campaign that we would otherwise have lost.
The overall campaign is well supported by public relations, which is targeting key news, short-lead magazines, online lifestyle sites and foodie and lifestyle/health influencers.
Orange Apple Festival sponsorship
Aussie Apples was once again a proud sponsor of the annual Orange Apples Festival, held over Mother’s Day weekend, 6-8 May 2016. The festival is now in its fifth year and celebrates the region’s diversity and quality of food and wine, with a specific focus on apples. It attracts a diverse group of local, intra- and inter-state visitors. The Aussie Apples investment secured our position as one of the overall sponsors (Woolworths was the major sponsor of the event), which generated the following branding opportunities:
- Apple Ramble: Branded sponsorship of this consumer event that takes groups to see an apple packing shed in action, followed by a guided tour of a local orchard and introduction to locally grown apple varieties. Guests are encouraged to pick an apple directly from the tree and are treated to a morning tea of apple pie.
- Apple Core Cooking: Branding at these demonstrations and tastings over the weekend.
- Orchard gate: Branding at orchard gates where visitors are encouraged to cycle or drive from orchard to orchard and pick up a complimentary apple along the way.
- Mother’s Day Long Lunch: Branding at this signature event which was also an opportunity for industry to meet with a key contact at Woolworths.
- Festival promotional literature and brochures: Aussie Apples branding across all of this.
- Mr Crunch: Attendance at the Woolworths sponsored schools event, which included a dress up day, art competition and visits from growers.
Apples Strategic Investment Advisory Panel meeting
The Apples Strategic Investment Advisory Panel (SIAP) meeting was held on 16 May, with a significant focus on marketing. The SIAP team will be working on the apples and pears marketing strategies and a key output from the day will be to ensure we have an aligned plan for both apples and pears. We look forward to sharing this with the broader industry.
About the author
Lisa Troy, Marketing Manager – Apple and Pears, Hort Innovation, 02 8295 2336, email@example.com