In-store pear tasting boosts sales by 24 per cent
New sales data released by Hort Innovation has revealed that in-store sampling of Packham pears over summer boosted sales by 24 per cent in Woolworths stores where the sampling occurred.
Among other results, the sampling also drove a 66 per cent hike in pre-packed 1kg Packham pear sales in Woolworths stores where sampling occurred.
Hort Innovation conducted the in-store sampling sessions in 280 Coles and Woolworths stores nationally between November 2017 and January 2018, giving over 45,000 shoppers a taste of pears.
Apple and Pear Marketing Manager Olivia Grey said the summer period was a unique time for in-store sampling of pears as traditionally it was a time of lower consumption due to new season stone fruit and berries coming onto the market.
Hort Innovation’s objectives for in-store sampling were to help growers market the bumper 2017 crop by:
- Increasing the awareness of the availability and taste of pears.
- Encouraging consumers to try purchasing pears.
- Communicating seasonality, ripening and usage messages.
- Highlighting where to find pears in the store.
- Leaving consumers with a positive ‘Australian Pears’ brand experience.
As well as keeping pears top of mind with consumers and boosting sales, the in-store sampling with Coles and Woolworths provided the opportunity to gather consumer insights into buying behaviour.
“This face to face research is a valuable resource because it shines a light on purchase behaviour and barriers to purchase,” Olivia said.
Over 45,000 consumers sampled pears during the sessions, providing results that included:
- 91 per cent those who sampled pears were over 31 years of age.
- Almost one in two customers dislike the quality of pears available instore, making it a major purchase barrier.
- Price is not an obstacle to purchase for 85 per cent of shoppers
- Health is a purchase driver for approximately one in four shoppers
Pear in-store sampling video
Olivia Grey, Apple and Pear Marketing Manager, Hort Innovation: 02 8295 2387 or email@example.com.
Read other articles on Hort Innovations’s apple and pear marketing work.
In-store sampling is a marketing initiative funded by the Apple and Pear Marketing Levy and forms part of the overall marketing programme managed by Hort Innovation.