To support a vibrant and profitable local apple and pear industry, APAL’s export, market development and market access work aims to:
- Increase fresh apple consumption from 8.8kg per person in 2015 to 9.0kg per person by 2020.
- Increase fresh pear consumption from 2.6kg per person in 2015 to 3.0kg per person by 2020.
- Expand the value-added apple and pear product range in the Australian market.
- Increase consumption of value-added apple and pear products.
- Increase the proportion of Australia’s fresh apple crop exported to 5% of total production by 2020, equating to a year-end annual volume of around 10,000 tonnes.
- Increase the proportion of Australia’s fresh pear crop exported to 20% of total production by 2020, equating to a year-end annual volume of around 12,200 tonnes.
APAL is working in both the domestic and export markets to achieve these aims.
To support domestic market development, APAL is:
- Sourcing, analysing and disseminating domestic marketing intelligence.
- Building technical knowledge and insights.
- Exploring product innovation and new product development opportunities.
- Maximising industry engagement.
To support export market development, APAL is:
- Sourcing, analysing and disseminating export market intelligence.
- Securing new market access and seeking market access improvements in existing markets.
- Delivering trade missions.
- Participating in trade fairs to showcase and promote Australian apple and pears.
- Driving export transformation.
03 9999 2702
APAL’s export market development and access work incorporates the ‘Australian apple and pear industry market development and market access program’ (AP15009) that is funded by Horticulture Innovation Australia Ltd using the apple and pear industry levy funds from growers and matching funds from the Australian Government.
This work is also supported through project specific funds from the Australian Government for initiatives such as the move to online export registration and the development of standard operating procedures and hierarchy of preferred treatment documentation to support market access applications.