The Future Orchards® team is pleased to announce the next round of orchard walks is set for June 2018 where the topic will be growing for quality to better meet customer expectations.
For the Southern Loop we are joined by guest Associate Professor Stefano Musacchi from Washington State University and AgFirst’s Steve Spark. Stefano is a researcher in tree physiology specialising in pome fruit and orchard systems. He has authored over 120 publications on orchard management, training systems, light interception, productive habitus, fruit quality, graft incompatibility, saline stress, rootstocks and cultivar evaluation. Stefano and is highly active in demonstration and extension activities both in the Washington State and internationally.
For the Northern Loop we are joined by New Zealand grower Mark Ericksen from Waima Fruit Company and AgFirst’s Ross Wilson. Mark is from a fourth generation apple growing business committed to high production of quality produce that delivers a great tasting and eating experience. Mark’s company focuses on delivering this through applying the best management practices available today through detailed monitoring of the crop and inputs as well as ensuring a responsible approach to environmental standards. Waima Fruit Company places a major emphasis on its performance through delivering the highest production of quality fruit year-on-year that is well above industry standards.
- Southern Victoria: Monday 4 June 2018 – 9am – 12.30pm – Montague, Lysterfield
- Southern Tasmania: Tuesday 5 June 2018, 11am – 3.30pm – OAK Tasmania Grove Research Station/Hansen Orchards
- South Australia: Wednesday 6 June 2018 – Lenswood Bowls Club
- Manjimup: Thursday 7 June 2018, 1.30pm – 5pm – Newton Brothers
- Stanthorpe, Qld: Monday 11 June 2018 – Pozieres Cold Stores
- Orange, NSW: Tuesday 12 June 2018 – Ian and Prue Pearce’s Stoneleigh Orchard, Pearce Lane via Ophir Road
- Batlow, NSW: Wednesday 13 June 2018 – Batlow RSL / Seven Springs
- Goulburn Valley, Vic: Friday 15 June 2018 – Sciacca Orchards 1090 Byrneside – Kyabram Road, Merrigum
Presentations from the walks will be posted in the Future Orchards library as they become available.
For more information please contact Angus Crawford, APAL Technical Manager on 03 9329 3511.
Future Orchards® is a strategic levy investment under the Hort Innovation Apple and Pear Fund. It is funded by Hort Innovation using the apple and pear levy and funds from the Australian Government, and is delivered by APAL and AgFirst.
First published 3 Apr 2018.